A Buddha statue covered in snow at the Fansipan summit in Lao Cai province on December 19, 2017. Photo by Tuoi Tre.
The holiday season is upon us! And it’s not too late to buy gifts for your loved ones — or yourself — for Christmas or Tet! Here are some ideas:
For the classy women in your life: perhaps this glam lipstick from Guerlain? Go to Leflair to get one for 799,000 VND (~US$35 vs. US$49 on Amazon)
For a healthy life: 8020fit offers short-term healthy meal subscriptions. Get (1, 2, 3, or 6) meals per day, (1 or 5) days per week, Vietnamese or Western, starting from 66,000 VND per person, in HCMC. Or subscribe to WeFit for discounted access to fitness classes and premium gyms in Hanoi or HCMC.
For the ambitious student in your life: English pronunciation training app ELSA is offering 20% off one-year memberships for 550,000 VND (~US$24). Install the app on an iOS or Android phone, give it a try, and if you like it then go ahead and buy!
For the new home of your life: go to Mitssy to buy one of their affordable modern pieces, or talk to their in-house design experts to figure out a beautiful furniture set just for you.
Team 500 Startups Vietnam
Disclaimer: Leflair, Chopp, ELSA, and Mitssy are portfolio companies of 500 Startups.
500 Startups Vietnam In The News
- Eddie Thai was interviewed by VTV4, commenting on opportunities and challenges of Vietnamese startups in Industrial Revolution 4.0. Link (starting at 7:48). 11/19
- ApplyBoard is awarded Tower 2017’s “China Outstanding International Education Award” in Shanghai. Here is how they are assisting hundreds of students everyday on their study-abroad journey. Link
- With their App Content Optimization platform, AppOnboard makes Inc. Magazine’s list of 10 companies Building the Future of App Development. Link. 09/1
- Aspiring to give smartphones to 2 billion people with no access to credit, PayJoy is one of the hottest San Francisco startups to watch in 2018. Link. 11/10
Vietnam Tech in the News
- Meet the 4 Southeast Asian startups participating in latest Google Launchpad cohort. Monkey Junior, a Vietnam-based learning app, will be among the 4 SEA startups participating in the 6-months prestigious Launchpad accelerator programme. e27. 11/30
- Facebook users on the rise in rural Vietnam. According to data recently released by research company Nielsen, more than a million new Facebook accounts were opened in rural parts of Vietnam in the past year, almost catching with urban users. VNExpress. 11/29
- Uber signs first Southeast Asian e-wallet deal with Vietnam’s MoMo.Uber has agreed to sign a strategic deal with Vietnamese financial technology firm MoMo to let passengers pay for rides using MoMo’s e-wallet. Reuters. 11/29
- Central Bank launches first-ever fintech challenge. The State Bank of Vietnam (SBV) hopes the challenge will spur innovation in financial services for greater financial inclusion in the country. Vietnam News. 11/28
- Online shopping platforms stir up Black Friday fever. Vietnam doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but it doesn’t mean e-commerce players in the country stand outside of the Black Friday game. Vietnam News. 11/25
- Hendale Capital invests in Vntrip. Details are undisclosed. However, Vntrip had earlier announced that it had raised $10 million in funding. DealStreetAsia. 11/24
- JD.com invests US$44 million in Tiki.vn. Online retailer Tiki.vn has closed their latest funding round with Chinese ecommerce company JD.com. Inside Retail. 11/20
Vietnam in the News
- Vietnam’s Jan-Nov FDI rises 11.9 pct on-year. Vietnam received an estimated $16 billion in foreign direct investment (FDI) in the first 11 months of this year (11.9% year over year). VnExpress. 11/28
- Vietnam Sheds Its Minnow Status. This year, Vietnam will overtake the Philippines in terms of average daily equity trading volume. Bloomberg. 11/28
- Vietnam’s real estate tycoon catapulted into world’s 500 richest list.Pham Nhat Vuong, founder & chairman of Vingroup, is the first Vietnamese person “to crack the list of the world’s 500 wealthiest people.” VoV. 11/26
- Saigon scores high on global property growth index. According to a survey conducted by real estate firm Savills, Ho Chi Minh City has been ranked third in a survey of 50 cities worldwide for property rental growth. VnExpress. 12/07
- Vietnam wins first gold medal at international science contest for junior students. In the 2017 International Mathematics and Science Olympiad, Vietnam brings home 1 gold and 5 silver. VnExpress. 11/24
Vietnam Investor Expeditionary Trek 2018
January 24-27, 2018 | Hanoi & Saigon
Learn more about the country’s background, investment opportunities, and challenges through immersion and expert talks. Along the way, meet many of Vietnam’s most promising startup founders and ecosystem leaders — including partying with the 500 Startups Vietnam family!
814 Mission St., 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
© 2010-2019 500 Startups