500VN’s Binh Tran on AVCJ’s VC panel (again :P). Photo source: AVCJ.
Last month, the IFC in association with the Emerging Markets Private Equity Association (EMPEA) hosted the 20th Annual Global Private Equity Conference. In advance of the conference, the EMPEA released results of their annual LP Outlook survey. Among the findings:
- LP respondents anticipate increasing commitments to emerging market funds
- Southeast Asia is the most attractive emerging market region over the next 12 months (with India #2 and China #3)
- Venture Capital is the asset class with the highest % of LP respondents with plans to begin or expand investment over the next two years
Sounds like good timing for 500 Startups Vietnam, 500 TukTuks, and 500 Durians!
Indeed, it’s been busy over here at 500 Startups Vietnam. We closed deals #24 (health tech) and #25 (logistics). One of our portfolio companies closed a $10M Series A (not announced). And we had several event engagements with investors, entrepreneurs, and other stakeholders:
- Binh spoke on the VC panel at the 2nd annual AVCJ Vietnam Forum, a day-long meeting for leaders of the alternative investment industry in Vietnam and broader Southeast Asia.
- Eddie spoke at a session on “Leading into the Digital Future” at the 2018 Horasis Global Meeting in Portugal, and met with Vietnamese diaspora entrepreneurs in London and Paris.
- Hau supported innovation initiatives in travel tech and fintech in Saigon and Hanoi respectively, sponsored by the Asian Development Bank.
In June we’re anticipating closing another 2+ new investments, and a handful of portfolio companies will begin accepting downstream capital in new rounds. Folks interested in Vietnam-connected opportunities should contact us ASAP!
Team 500 Startups Vietnam
Vietnam in the News
- Fitch upgrades Vietnam to ‘BB’; outlook stable. Vietnam won a sovereign rating upgrade from Fitch Ratings thanks to strong economic growth and declining public debt. FitchRatings. 05/14
- Vietnam: DFJ VinaCapital-backed Yeah1 seeks to raise $100m from share sale. The raise will be followed by their listing debut on Ho Chi Minh City Stock Exchange, making them the first local entertainment company listed on the stock market. Deal Street Asia. 05/25
- Vietnam ranks 1st in Asia, 6th of 53 in female business ownership. “According to a recent Mastercard study, 31.3% of businesses in Vietnam are owned by women…, ahead most of Europe, the US, China and all other Asian nations”. Saigoneer. 05/23
- Vietnam, with its low property prices, has become a new treasure hunting ground for Hong Kong and China buyers. High-end property prices in Vietnam were estimated to be 50% and 90% cheaper than in Bangkok and Hong Kong, respectively. South China Morning Post. 05/23
Vietnam Tech in the News
- Exclusive: Vietnamese e-commerce major Tiki to raise Series D, existing backer JD.com may join. “Tiki has hit the fundraising trail barely six months after securing a $44-million Series C investment co-led by China’s second-largest e-commerce firm JD.com.” Deal Street Asia. 06/07
- Indonesian ride-hailing app revs up to join Vietnam’s transport market. “Go-Jek will officially launch in Vietnam this July, the same time with Singapore-based ride-hailing app MVL.” VnExpress. 05/18
- How Vietnam’s Fintech market could reach nearly $8 billion by 2020. “High internet & smartphone penetration, increased popularity of e-wallets, rising income & consumption, and a growing e-commerce sector” will unlock the country’s fintech growth potential. Forbes. 05/18
- New cybersecurity law may thwart foreign businesses, stall growth. GDP & FDI are estimated to fall 1.7% & 3.1% percent respectively if the new cybersecurity law takes effect. VnExpress. 05/29
- IT outsourcing hotspot: Vietnam, a small but mighty powerhouse. Learn more about the history and growth drivers of global IT outsourcing in Vietnam. Forbes. 05/29
- Vietnam launches in-depth probe into Grab-Uber deal in Southeast Asia. The investigation will take at least 180 days to understand whether Uber and Grab’s combined market share in Vietnam exceeds the allowed maximum of 50%. Reuters. 05/18
EdTech Vietnam 2018, 06/08, HCMC
Key stakeholders including startups, academic institutions, NGOs, tech companies, investors, and education practitioners will share their insights into the current state & growth opportunities of EdTech ecosystem in Vietnam. Event Page
Vietnam Mobile Day, 06/08 Saigon & 06/15 Hanoi
The largest annual festival for Vietnam’s mobile industry. Event Page
SURF – Da Nang Startup Wave 2018, 06/29, Da Nang
Organized by Da Nang Business Incubator (DNES) and endorsed by the Da Nang government, SURF is one of the key activities to develop the city towards a thriving innovation hub. Event Page
Google Demo Day Asia, deadline 07/01
Pitch to top venture capital firms, get mentored by Google executives, and gain access to Google for Entrepreneurs’ global partner network. Application Page
Vietnam M&A Forum 2018, 08/08, HCMC
“Examine the factors that energize the market toward a new era, while also recap the 10 years journey, pay tribute to notable deals of the decade and forecast the journey yet to come for Vietnam M&A.” Event Page
814 Mission St., 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
© 2010-2019 500 Startups